March 25, 2012
First attempt at painting the “bare wood” section of the mask.
It’s getting there, but needs tidying up a bit. With luck I should have this ready for a photoshoot on Saturday.

First attempt at painting the “bare wood” section of the mask.

It’s getting there, but needs tidying up a bit. With luck I should have this ready for a photoshoot on Saturday.

March 25, 2012
A somewhat better photo of the progress on the oak-bark mask, taken in natural light. This morning I’ve added a little black around the eye holes, just to subtly delineate/highlight them.
Next steps are:
carefully paint all the bits of white wood glue that are visible in a bark-colour, and
paint up the non-bark areas (mouth, nose and chin) as bare wood.

A somewhat better photo of the progress on the oak-bark mask, taken in natural light. This morning I’ve added a little black around the eye holes, just to subtly delineate/highlight them.

Next steps are:

  1. carefully paint all the bits of white wood glue that are visible in a bark-colour, and
  2. paint up the non-bark areas (mouth, nose and chin) as bare wood.

March 24, 2012
A bit more bark added, and a first coat of paint on the bark-free areas.
Weird colour-cast because it’s lit using my desk lamp.

A bit more bark added, and a first coat of paint on the bark-free areas.

Weird colour-cast because it’s lit using my desk lamp.

March 24, 2012
It’s tricky, but going reasonably well so far - waiting for glue to dry before I continue any further.

It’s tricky, but going reasonably well so far - waiting for glue to dry before I continue any further.